Well, it’s a month today since I picked up the keys. The house looks totally different but still lots to do. This is what has been done so far:
- stripped wallpaper from lounge, kitchen, hallway and bedroom 2
- removed ceiling tiles from lounge, kitchen and hallway
- scraped, chipped and steamed tile glue from lounge and hallway ceiling
- sanded lounge & hallway ceilings
- knocked off plaster from kitchen ceiling
- taken down all sliding doors downstairs
- washed hallway
- washed, prepared and painted bedroom 2 walls (except chimney breast and window surround)
- painted bedroom 2 ceiling
- filled bedroom 2 door and painted it
- sanded, primed and painted wardrobe
- started washing lounge
- plus moved 1/4 of belongings over from rented house
Not bad, considering I’ve only had evenings and weekends to work on the house and some evenings I’ve worked late and had other commitments.
Week 4 Update
Well bedroom 2 had my attention this week and it’s almost finished. It’s all painted apart from the chimney and window surround, these will be done Tues. Then it’s time to give the lounge carpet a thorough steam clean and lay this in the bedroom.
Progress in pictures…
There’s now one week before I need to be fully moved in. I have a couple of days booked off work. As well as finishing off bedroom 2 I’ll wash the living room walls this week too. Then it’s waiting for the rising damp to be sorted before painting the walls.
I’m also seriously thinking about skimming the hall walls. I spent hours washing the walls, but there are some four parts of the wall where two doors used to be that will never look good unless skimmed and the walls are pretty bad generally… so realistically it makes sense re-skimming. So stopped work on the hall for now.