The week before last I was down at my parents and borrowed my dad’s car to collect some pallets. I’ve just finished making a pallet table and headboard. Plus, I’ve turned a scaffold board into a radiator shelf.
Taking the pallets apart was tough, but luckily my dad did that for me (I just had to get all the nails out). Then it was 1 hour of sanding with my belt sander last night and 2 coats of danish oil.
It took about an hour or so sanding. I sanded the planks individually and sponged on two coats of varnish. When they were dry, the fun started and I lined the planks up in various orders until I found a design I was happy with.
I layed the planks onto two horizontal pieces of wood and screwed the headboard together. I drilled holes in the planks big enough for the screws to fit through and also drilled pilot holes into the frame.
And here we have the headboard (which only fitted up the stairs by a few mm)
It’s resting against the wall at the moment as I don’t have any wood long enough to make the legs, but that’s just a couple more screws.
Cost of both, approx 40p (screws). I used three pallets in total, free from Jewsons.
The only other wood I needed, was for the frame.