Big Changes – Last Big Job

Some big changes have been happening.

I’ve had my double glazing fitted. I used Safeguard, who were very competitive cost wise, the sales guy was lovely and no hard sell whatsoever, and the surveyor and fitter were both great too.

double glazing

double glazing

real windows!

real windows!

need to find some blinds

need to find some blinds – note old windows in front garden are now gone

The windows were the last major job.

I need a carpenter in to patch up some skirting and make a door frame and need my dad to fit the basin and towel radiator in the bathroom (and I can then finish the last few tiles), but other than that it’s really just bits and pieces.

I have just put up my scaffolding board radiator shelf. After sanding it down and applying a few coats of Danish Oil, I think it looks great.

scaffolding board radiator shelf

scaffolding board radiator shelf

I put my tyre planter outside, it has soil but just needs a plant. Something that will survive if I forget to water it and something that won’t die in the frost that we’ll be getting in a few months…

tyre planter

tyre planter

Study…. is now a study.

So, I finally got around to sorting all the junk that was stored in this room whilst I was renovating my bathroom and bedroom.

Bringing the desk upstairs on my own was a very near huge failure. I got stuck mid way, literally pinned to the stairs under the desk… it isn’t too heavy but it was such a tight fit.

I also massively scraped the banister and wall and the drawer fell out from mid way up the incredibly steep stairs, bouncing three times…. very loudly. I’m sure I gave the neighbours an almighty shock. I need to fix up the walls and banister, but the drawer was more or less unscathed.

study

study

desk

desk

I was going to sand the desk and paint parts of it, but it’ll do as it is for now.
It still looks pretty good. Besides, I can buy my A3 laser printer now and get trading.

Stairs & Landing Brightened Up

Long time, no update. Kinda been busy soaking up the sun, running, climbing and fitting in a few sporadic hours on the house.

My bedroom is more or less done.
It’s been plastered, painted and I put up the new architrave. Just got a few bits and pieces left to do. Photos will follow when I’ve got it in order (tidied).

The stairs and landing are now finished.
The emulsion was finished weeks ago and I’ve just finished the woodwork. Painting the ugly brown with white makes such a difference.

walls pre plastering

walls pre plastering

stairs pre plastering

stairs pre plastering

plastered wall

smooth plaster

stairs painted

fresh white satin paint and magnolia emulsion

landing painted

landing painted

Bathroom – partly plumbed

It’s been a long weekend! We were working all day Sat and Mon. And Sunday morning, before escaping for an afternoon and evening out in the sun.

Dad put in the fan, had fun and games plumbing in the shower and bath and put the shower screen on. I did some tiling and grouting and lots of other little jobs.

Now that the baths in, I need to finish the tiling around the bath so it can be used!

partly plumbed bathroom

partly plumbed bathroom

bath and shower installed

bath and shower installed

shower screen installed

shower screen installed

heart shadow shower

heart shaped shower shadow

Bathroom – ready for plumbing & fitting the suite

2 and a half weekends later I’ve done all the tiling until the plumbing and electrics are done (hello dad).

I’ve also done most of the grouting. Just got to buff up the tiles to get rid of the cement dust.

In a couple of weeks I should have a fully functioning bathroom 🙂

just needs buffing and the fan to go in

just needs buffing and the fan to go in

alcoves just need grouting

tiling done til shower bought and plumbed in

waiting for sink plumbing to be done

waiting for sink plumbing to be done

need to paint the ugly brown door frame!

need to paint the ugly brown door frame!

Hello Again – Plastering & Restoring Floorboards

I’ve not posted on here for a long time! I was ill for most of Jan and Feb, so didn’t do a lot of work. But I’ve been busy the last few weeks.

I’ve rendered and skimmed a couple of dodgy areas in the front room.

rendered

rendered

render

render

skimmed

skimmed

And I’ve just finished sanding and varnishing the front room floor.

I’m very pleased with it and now have a proper drum room so I can buy my new kit 🙂

before

before

before

before

after approx 10 hours of sanding

after approx 10 hours of sanding with a hand belt sander

maybe get a better dust mask next time

maybe get a better dust mask next time

3 coats of varnish later

3 coats of varnish later

Left to do:

  • Fill in a couple of holes and paint over a patch of new skim
  • Build the built in desk in the left chimney recess
  • Add new skirting board
  • Tile / paint hearth
  • Add ceiling rose
  • Buy and hang blinds
  • Build door frame & hang door
  • Make pallet sofa…. big project for later on!

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Just a little tarting up of the kitchen…

Load bearing wall knocked down, moved a wall back, rising damp rectified.
New roof, new plaster, new windows, new floor & tiles, new boiler and pipework

kitchen transformation

kitchen transformation

The lounge has been given lots of TLC…

Gas fire out & period fire in, restored original wooden floors, walls filled, ceiling tiles down.
New lease of life.

lounge transformation

lounge transformation