Big Changes – Last Big Job

Some big changes have been happening.

I’ve had my double glazing fitted. I used Safeguard, who were very competitive cost wise, the sales guy was lovely and no hard sell whatsoever, and the surveyor and fitter were both great too.

double glazing

double glazing

real windows!

real windows!

need to find some blinds

need to find some blinds – note old windows in front garden are now gone

The windows were the last major job.

I need a carpenter in to patch up some skirting and make a door frame and need my dad to fit the basin and towel radiator in the bathroom (and I can then finish the last few tiles), but other than that it’s really just bits and pieces.

I have just put up my scaffolding board radiator shelf. After sanding it down and applying a few coats of Danish Oil, I think it looks great.

scaffolding board radiator shelf

scaffolding board radiator shelf

I put my tyre planter outside, it has soil but just needs a plant. Something that will survive if I forget to water it and something that won’t die in the frost that we’ll be getting in a few months…

tyre planter

tyre planter

Making Pallet Furniture

The week before last I was down at my parents and borrowed my dad’s car to collect some pallets. I’ve just finished making a pallet table and headboard. Plus, I’ve turned a scaffold board into a radiator shelf.

Pallet Table

Taking the pallets apart was tough, but luckily my dad did that for me (I just had to get all the nails out). Then it was 1 hour of sanding with my belt sander last night and  2 coats of danish oil.

pallet table

pallet table not sanded

table sanded and oiled

table sanded and oiled

danish oil

danish oil

Pallet Headboard

It took about an hour or so sanding. I sanded the planks individually and sponged on two coats of varnish. When they were dry, the fun started and I lined the planks up in various orders until I found a design I was happy with.

I layed the planks onto two horizontal pieces of wood and screwed the headboard together. I drilled holes in the planks big enough for the screws to fit through and also drilled pilot holes into the frame.

And here we have the headboard (which only fitted up the stairs by a few mm)

headboard  before sanding

headboard before sanding

headboard sanded and varnished

headboard sanded and varnished

headboard

headboard

It’s resting against the wall at the moment as I don’t have any wood long enough to make the legs, but that’s just a couple more screws.

Cost of both, approx 40p (screws). I used three pallets in total, free from Jewsons.
The only other wood I needed, was for the frame.